Surry Hills Markets
New Stallholder Email Newsletter!
Click the Subscribe button below to join our new occasional email service. We'll send occasional messages containing all news of interest to stallholders. If you apply to be a stallholder, you'll automatically be added to this list. If, later on, you no longer want to receive these emails, you can always unsubscribe.
Information for Stallholders
Next Market is on
Bookings for Stallholders open on at midday
- The Surry Hills Markets specialises in handmade, second-hand and recycled goods. We reserve the right to reject stall applications which do not match this policy, and we seek to have a diverse range of products on sale at every market.
- Casual stall spaces must be booked online, and all applications are subject to later approval by the Coordinator. That is, acceptance of your booking by the online system is strictly provisional. The Coordinator has the discretion to reject any application.
- There are no concessional rates - all stallholders pay the full fee
- We do not rent out trestle tables due to insufficient demand.
- To protect the Council's investment in the park surface, stallholders on the grassed area must provide protective flooring.
- The office for the markets is on the first floor of the Surry Hills Community Centre.
- There is a maximum of 40 permanent stallholders
- There is a waiting list (maintained by the Coordinator) to become a permanent stallholder
- Permanents pre-pay for their monthly stall in advance: no cancellations are accepted.
- Payment must be by EFTPOS or postal order: refusal will have permanent stallholder status revoked.
- These payments must be made in the office by 11:00am on Market day, for the following month.
- Permanents must provide copies of current Public Liability insurance certificates.
- Permanents must be on site by 8:30am, otherwise their space will be allocated to a casual for the day, and no refund will be payable, and the payment for next month is still due.
- Subletting of stalls is not allowed other than in case of illness/bereavement or other special circumstances as arranged with the Market Coordinator. Fees must be paid to the Market Coordinator under the name of the permanent stall operator.
- Permanents will be permitted a maximum of 2 absences per year. Notification of an impending absence must be in writing and authorised by the Coordinator or Assistant Coordinator
- Casual stall spaces are booked by completing the online form on the Thursday in the week prior to the Market (i.e. 10 days before the Market day). Spaces are allocated on a first come - first served basis.
- No bookings are taken for casual stalls at other times
- Acceptance of your booking by the online system does not guarantee acceptance. All acceptances are provisional and are subject to approval by the Market Coordinator.
- Payment for casual stalls must be made in the office on the morning of the market, before allocation of the space
- The preferred method of payment for casuals is EFTPOS or postal order
- Casuals must provide copies of Public Liability insurance certificate. If no insurance, casuals must pay $15 to be covered by the SHNC policy for the day
- Casual stallholders may apply to be placed on the waiting list for permanent stallholders. Discuss this in person with the Coordinator.
Conditions for all Stallholders
- All stallholders indicate their acceptance of these conditions by making a booking at the Market.
- The location and allocation of stalls is at the absolute discretion of the Market Coordinator and the Assistant Market Coordinator
- Stallholders must set up in the space they have been allocated, and remain in that space irrespective of weather conditions
- Gazebos must stay within 3x3m or stallholders will be required to pay an additional $20 penalty fee
- Goods sold must be handmade, recycled or second hand
- No stalls allowed in the soft-fall area of the childrens' playground
- No vehicles are allowed to enter the grassed area of Shannon Reserve
- Handbills shall not be distributed in the Market area
- Market activity must be contained within the Reserve, and must not extend onto the footpaths surrounding it
- No amplified music is permitted
- No unsilenced generators are permitted
- No alcohol shall be sold
- Stallholders on the grassed area must provide flooring to protect the grass. Suitable matting can be purchased from most $2 Shops
- Stallholders must remove their own rubbish
- Stallholders must pack up and vacate the area by 4:30pm on each Market day. Failure to comply with this will result in a warning, and repeat offences will result in future attendance being refused.
- Stallholders who do not comply with all requirements may be banned from future markets.
Detailed terms and conditions for stallholders can be downloaded (29kB .PDF file) by clicking here.
Sale of food shall comply with the provisions of the 2003 Food Act and with Council's regulations for Temporary Food Premises and will meet the requirements of the City of Sydney Health and Building Department In particular, food stallholders must obtain a permit from the City of Sydney Council for the day of the Market.
Further information and forms can be downloaded from the City of Sydney website.
|Space Only||Space Only||Public Liability Insurance|
|Food Stalls||Other Stalls||Casuals only|
Wet Weather Policy
The Surry Hills Markets are never cancelled due to weather. At the discretion of the Market Coordinator or the City of Sydney, a wet market may be restricted to the paved area to protect the grass, but the market will proceed.
Permanent stallholders, who pay in advance, will receive no refund if they do not attend a market because of bad weather (or for any other reason). If they do not attend, then at the next market, the payment due from them will be for two markets.
These fees will need to be paid at the next market. Failure to make payment of outstanding fees will result in loss of permanent stallholder status.
What is done with the Fees?
Fees are collected from Stallholders by the Surry Hills Neighbourhood Centre and are injected back into the community by assisting to cover the unfunded costs of Childcare Services, our Multicultural Program and other community outreach projects.
Application Form for next Market
Bookings for Stallholders open on
Click on the button below to signify that you have read and agree to all the above terms and conditions. Only if you agree will you be transferred to the application form for the next Surry Hills Market. When you complete an application, you will be added to our stallholders mailing list. If you don't want to receive these occasional emails, you can unsubscribe from the mailing list.