After School Care [5-12 years old]
The Surry Hills Neighbourhood Centre operates an Out of School Hours Care(OSHC, formerly OOSH) Service providing quality care, recreation and play opportunities for primary school aged children (5 %uFFFD 12 years) after school and all day during school vacations.
Parents! You Had Your Say...
SHNC provides Out of School Hours Care for primary aged children every afternoon at both Bourke Street Public School and Crown Street Public School. Recently we conducted an on-line and hard copy survey of current and prospective clients. You can view the results of the survey by clicking the link, and watch this space to see reports of improvements as a result of the survey.
- To provide out-of-school hours service to all children in the area, regardless of cultural background, religion, family income or disability
- To provide a safe & happy environment for children, thus enabling parents to pursue work, study & other activities
- To provide children with a range of activities and experiences that will assist their emotional, social, physical & creative development
- To create a warm, fair and friendly environment for children, parents/carers and staff
Location and Services
Crown Street Public School: 356 Crown Street, Surry Hills
Bourke Street Public School: 590 Bourke Street, Surry Hills
Note: Vacation Care is available at Crown Street Public School during school holidays. Click link for more details.
Hours of Operation
3 - 6pm during School term (excl. public holidays)
Our OSHC programs are planned by staff in consultation with the children to offer a balance of structured and unstructured activities which aim to provide a stimulating, enjoyable environment with safe play opportunities, including ...
- Ball games
- Sports/outdoor games
- Indoor games
- Art and craft
- Opportunities for quiet pursuits such as homework and reading
Children are generally able to choose which activities they will participate in.
A nutritional afternoon tea is provided and included in the fee. Afternoon tea will be served at approximately 3:30pm.
There will be time set aside for homework. The staff will assist children where necessary.
Vacancies and Enquiries
Crown Street Public School After School Care: There are limited vacancies due to high demand. Please contact the Co-ordinator, for all correspondence, bookings and enquiries as follows:
Bourke Street Public School After School Care: For all correspondence and enquiries please contact the Co-ordinator, , as follows:
Click on the link to download an enrolment form for both services.
- Bookings need to be made one week in advance
- Fees are to be paid two weeks in advance and are also payable on days booked when your child is sick or absent
- Casual bookings are possible, but will attract an additional fee of $1.50
- A late fine applies at $1.00 for every minute late after normal closing time of 6.00pm
- It is not possible to swap one child%uFFFDs booking for another
We believe that childcare should be accessible to all families in the local area. Our fees are kept as low as is possible to maintain the viability of the services.
The daily fee for After School Care from Term 1, 2011 is $20 per day per child
Parents/carers will receive an invoice at the start of each school term detailing fees. Payments can be made by EFT, cash or cheque payable to Surry Hills Neighbourhood Centre.
An initial, one-off, administration fee of $25.00/family is payable, to enrol in After School Care.
If paying by EFT, bank account details are as follows. Note that our different locations have different account numbers:
|Crown St Public School ASC||Bourke St Public School ASC|
|Account Name||Surry Hills Neighbourhood Centre||Surry Hills Neighbourhood Centre|
|Payment Reference||"ASC" name of parent/child||"ASC" name of parent/child|
A Childcare Benefit (CCB) is available to qualifying families to reduce the cost of OOSH fees. Application should be made to the Families Assistance Office by telephoning 13 6150.
The Child Care Benefit (CCB) system is a policy of the Federal Government to provide a subsidy (rebate) for the costs to parents of child care. The CCB is administered by the Family Assistance Office (FAO), which is a part of Centrelink. The Commonwealth Department of Family and Community Services (DFACS) is responsible for the FAO and federal government policy in the child care area. Contact the FAO on 13 61 50 (8am - 8pm) or www.familyassist.gov.au. The TTY service for those with hearing or speech impediment is 1800-810 586 and use 13 12 02 for information in languages other than English.
Fees have been determined to allow the SHNC to run a quality service. A survey of other centres shows that SHNC fees are at the low end of the range of charges. The amount that you, the parents, will actually pay is determined by the CCB rebate rate that the FAO allocates to you: this rate is determined after assessment of your annual income.
- If you apply for fee reduction under the CCB, you need to complete an FAO form "Claim for Child Care Benefit to reduce your fees". (This claim form is available from Medicare offices, Centrelink Customer Service Centres and ATOaccess sites.) The FAO will then issue a reference number for your child.
- Parents may choose to pay full fees at the Child Care service, and claim the CCB as a lump sum in their annual tax return. In this case, the form "Request for Customer Reference Number" must still be completed and submitted.